Plus I just keep counting down the days (3 by the way) till I head to California for a whole week of beach, sisters wedding, family fun, relaxation and no work time! I'm so excited to get out of Arizona, too bad in a week after that I'll have to come back! I'm sure I'll bawl!
But until then I'm trying to stay busy packing for Brady & I for 9 days and preparing for all of that (which means I'll have to pack a ton because somehow EVERYDAY he has an explosion) seriously...it's horrible! Thank goodness for diaper bags! I'm making my sisters sign in book for her wedding, trying to find an outfit to match everyone for brady for the wedding, planning Activity Days for my 8-11 year old girls at church, doing laundry, cooking and everything else. James doesn't join me till next wednesday, so I'm trying to get things in order and ready for him also.
Question: Brady is 4 months and 1 week. He has never slept through the night. He gets up every 3 hours to eat. I do breastfeed him. So many moms I notice have babies who sleep like 12 hours. Why and how is that?! Do you formula or breastfeed? How did you train them? And how do you train them to get on a schedule? Mind you that we are all in our one bedroom apartment, so letting him scream it out doesn't work until the end of this month and our contract is up and we have to move....so let me know what works for you ladies and how you did it! I'm at a loss and becoming quite exhausted!



13 comments:
I am glad that you are feeling better and have a great trip to California!
As far as the sleeping goes, (this is my opinion) he is old enough that he shouldn't need to eat every three hours in the night. It is going to be better when he is not in your room, but I would let him cry. I read a great book called secrets of the baby whisperer and she would say you can go in and comfort them, not picking them up though, so they know you are there, not ignoring them, but that they know you're not going to feed them. I know some people think that is really mean but you have to teach them that the night is not the time to be eating. I also don't think it is a difference between breastfed and formula either. I also understand that every baby is so different and everyone has a different philosophy so just try it out. It worked great for us... with some patience! :)
Sorry so long
Good luck
Ellia started sleeping through the night when we started formula, and we did that because she wasn't getting enough. I think I would talk it out with the Doc before I started with- holding food though. Every child is different. Some babies need to eat more, but I bet there is a way you could get him down to one feeding a night instead of every 3 hours!!
Also, he will probably sleep longer when you start him on solids. That's not too far off, most babes are ready around 6 mo. Hang in there!
I'm sorry you were not feeling good! Glad you're on the mend though!
As far as sleeping... You are at the 4 month point - wahoo. Time to introduce cereal (if you haven't already). Fill up that adorable tummy right before bed and than see if that makes a difference for how long he sleeps. After that, once your ready you just have to let him cry it out - they form habits young!
I breastfed Camryn and at 4 months she was sleeping either through the night or waking up once. I would stay up with her until like 10:30 and then she would sleep until like 4 or 5 and I would do one feeding and sleep until like 9 or 10 the next morning. It was a great schedule for us, but may not work for you. But I would try and just elimate one of the feedings because they can go at least 5 hours without eating at night. It is so hard when they are in your room. You could try putting him in the family room once you go to bed. Good luck!
It's so funny the response you'll get when you ask about babies and sleeping. Everybody has their opinions...So I guess I'm part of that mom group now too. Maddie slept 9-6:30 last night for the first time ever last night. Heaven. You've got to get Brady to do it, esp. cuz you're working. Don't know how you do it. Try to start by dropping a feeding. (prob. the early morning one cuz that's the worst). If he takes a passy, just give that to him instead. If you need to pick him up to soothe him too, do that but don't offer boob. I started putting Maddie to bed a 9-9:30 every night, and it's amazing to have our evenings alone back. Good luck!
He sounds just like Tru! And he looks a lot like Tru did, a little chunk. He knows what's good, he just likes a little meal throughout the night!!! When Tru was 4 months I had about had it with the late night feedings. I was recommended a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I recommend this to EVERYONE!!! It's written by the leading sleep researcher for babies and children, I would for sure get that. In the end, it is a bit of tough love, comfort him and then let him cry it out. Usually they will cry for not too long and they figure it out pretty quickly, it shouldn't be crying all night for the next month, just a few days. Let me know if you want to talk about any of this because I'd be happy too! Good luck.
I was going to recommend the book that Meg recommended too. I LOVE it and the moms I know who have read it swear by it. Good luck!!
Here is my opinion.
Who wouldn't wake up if they knew someone would feed them a meal! He doesn't need it (do you honestly think he is starving to death, the chunk!) My doctor told me at Bennett's 4 month that he is learning to manipulate, so careful what you do. He knows that you will feed him, so he wakes up. Bennett has been a good sleeper and started sleeping 11 hours or so at about 12 weeks. I think some of that has to do with schedule (eat, stay awake, then nap- in 3-4 hour cycles through the day). While we just went to NY he got into the habit of waking up, so when we got home, I had to let him cry and just try to give him his paci. He cried for 40 min the first night and i finally fed him, the second night he slept longer and i eventually fed him, by the third night he was back to sleeping through the night. I would try to do the same. It is SO HARD when they are in your room though!! Good luck!
Everyone has really said great things!! I could go on and on and on about this subject... HA!!
I agree with what everyone else said. At this point, they aren't waking because they are hungry, they are waking because it's a habit. He doesn't NEED to eat (the little fatty!!!).
Every baby is different, so it's hard to tell how long it will take to "reset" his mindset, but really, it shouldn't even take a few days, and then you will be SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!! Babies learn quick. He will get the idea that it's not worth it to cry and cry, if he doesn't get fed anyway... Of course, the first night is always the toughest, and longest. Once you decide to let to stop feeding him though, stick with it!! It will get increasingly better night by night.
But, if you are going on vacation, it might be hard to start "training" him, because your family will want to take him away from you!!! ha ha ha At least that's the way my family is...They only care about the babies!!
agreed.
he can start eating baby solids, so feed him big before bedtime. and with gwen i would just have to let her cry. it was usually less than 2-3 minutes, which was a shocker (addi slept through the night from birth ... crazy.) does he take a paci?? that helps.
OH, and send JAMES in to comfort. the smell of your milkalicious boobs can trigger him, and since James' aren't milkalicoius, it'll help brady realize that waking up no longer equals a feeding.
i also agree with taylor to wait until after vacation though. :)
oh, DOES HE SWADDLE?? cause to me, swaddling is THE miracle cure.
THANK YOU for this post. I'm not there yet, but am so glad to read all of the solutions and opinions. All of these moms: so smart
Post a Comment